Newsletter Issue 11 — Spring 2011
Dear Friend of Agapé Heart
As the church commemorates the death and resurrection of our Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ, we look afresh at the wonderful Cross of Christ. Do we really understand the meaning of the Cross? Do we take in the full import of what our Redeemer accomplished at Calvary? On the Cross the wrath of the Holy God for our sins and all the sins of mankind was poured out on Jesus, the Son of the Living God. He who knew no sin became the propriation or sacrifice for our sin. The scorn, the shame, the pain, the abandonment and punishment that we deserved, He took in our stead, as our representative.
Without the Cross, there is no salvation. Without true repentance, brought by the conviction of the Holy Spirit, the Cross does not avail for us. As the Apostle Peter reminds us, we were purchased at a great price, not with gold or silver or with perishable goods but with the precious blood of Jesus. For the true believer this great cost and the power of the blood of Christ that redeemed us produces a different life, a life of victory over sin — the resurrected life. Friends, I pray that we are not deceived. If we do not have this victory, the bible says that we are not born again (1 John 2:3-4, 1 John 3:6).
Thank God, His door of mercy and grace is available today. It is my earnest prayer that if you are not in Christ that you will seek the mercy and grace of God with true repentance as the Lord grants you the grace to see sin as God sees sin. May the incomparable blessing of salvation be the reality for all friends of Agapé Heart.
As we celebrate Jesus, God's greatest gift to us, may we continue to be used by God to help those in need as every act of compassion bears the very imprint of God. Through our redemption God our Father, met our greatest need - to be forgiven, saved and reconciled to God and to fulfil His purpose for our lives. What a joy it is to be used by God in any capacity to meet the needs of the poor.
Friends, we would remind you of the following:
- Agapé Heart 3km run on 7th May. Please join us, support us and thereby help us to continue to make a lasting difference.
- Agapé Heart will be featured at Café Africa (www.cafe-africa.co.uk) in Amersham during the whole month of August 2011 as Charity of the Month. Please visit the café in August if you can to help support us and Café Africa.
We give thanks and praise to God for the following:
- The successful completion of the community water borehole at Amuma, Ohafia, Abia State, Nigeria giving clean, safe water to the villagers.
- The continued support and prayers of the Friends of Agapé Heart enabling us to continue to help those in desperate need.
- The continued zeal and dedication of Agapé Heart helpers in Nigeria. May the Lord continue to lead and protect them.
- The wonderful impact that Agapé Heart is making in the villages as the people see that the help that we give is by the pure grace of God. Many have expressed that the borehole is God's answer to their prayer for clean water.
Please pray for widow Ngozi Awa Ukpai, recently blinded in her left eye following a scorpion sting in Northern Nigeria. When she came to us, unfortunately, the venom from the scorpion had already caused the blindness. We are paying for medical care for her and we have given her financial help to start a food vending business to enable her to support herself and her four children.
Please pray that we can raise sufficient funds to provide a community water well for a neighbouring village and to continue to help relieve the suffering of the poor in these villages.
Please pray that the Lord of the harvest will continue to send His labourers as we partner with local churches in casting the net of the glorious gospel of Christ in the villages.
May the Lord bless you and keep you as you bless others with the love and compassion of Christ.
In Christ by His grace